Skip to main content

The Day the Map Disappeared

Today, Monday, the 6th of July, something quietly came to an end.

For years, I lived in Ireland sustained by a single belief—that perseverance would eventually justify every sacrifice. I believed that hard work possessed a quiet morality; that if I endured long enough, life would return what it had borrowed from me. Every difficult day, every lonely night, every compromise was an investment in a future where my family and I would finally be together again.

Today, that belief fractured.

I realised that some dreams are not defeated by laziness or lack of effort. They are defeated by circumstances beyond the reach of effort itself.

Today I learned that bringing my children here may never become a reality.

The sentence itself is simple.

Its weight is not.

I do not blame anyone. This is not the consequence of another person’s cruelty. It is the consequence of a decision I once believed was courageous.

I left a peaceful life in Oman.

I left familiarity, financial security, and a life whose rhythm I understood. I exchanged certainty for possibility. I believed struggle had meaning because it was leading somewhere.

Now I stand in the middle of that struggle, asking whether the destination ever existed.

The greatest fear is not failure.

It is becoming a stranger to the people for whom you sacrificed everything.

Children do not measure love by intention. They measure it by presence. Time continues its work while I remain here, believing that tomorrow will repair what today has taken away.

Perhaps this is the real cost of migration.

Not the money.

Not the paperwork.

Not the uncertainty.

But the silent distance that slowly grows between the people who love each other.

I have made very few decisions entirely on my own.

Perhaps only one.

To resign from a comfortable life in Oman and begin again in the grey skies of Ireland.

Every day since then has unfolded from that single decision.

And now life asks me another question.

Do I stay?

Or do I return?

I do not know the answer.

I only know that every decision creates another version of ourselves—a man who stayed, a man who returned, a father who waited, a father who came home.

Only one of them will become real.

Tonight, I cannot see which one he is.

But tomorrow, whether I choose to remain or to leave, life will begin writing that man into existence.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Utopian Hallelujah

UPDATED : I saw her first on 26 January 2009                    : This post was written on 18/03/2013: 06:42 PM                          : And i said what i wanted to say on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 6:18:00 AM                    : I met her in person on 16/8/14: 12:07 PM, the craziest thing I've ever done in my life! They say I am crazy 'cause I am in love with the crazy utopia. "Crazy Utopia" could be a person or her, obviously her, thoughts or even her existence. Each day i born new and likewise my love for her is new. I know her for the past five years and i am in love with her from that very point of time whence the "past five years" started. I've decided a myriads and myriads of times not to think of her ever and for never. But, I st...

ശിവോഹം

അസ്ഥി മരവിക്കുന്ന തണുപ്പിലും , രക്തം ബാഷ്പമാകുന്ന ചൂടിലും , ഭ്രാന്ത്‌ ബുദ്ധിയെ മദിക്കുന്ന നേരത്തും എനിക്ക് നിന്നോട് പ്രണയം മാത്രമേയുള്ളൂ.  അവസ്ഥയുടെ എല്ലാ  ഭാവത്തിലും എനിക്ക് പ്രണയം നീയാണ്.  കടലും , തിരയും , കരയും , മലയും , കാറ്റും , മഴയും , അങ്ങനെ  സര്‍വ്വ പ്രപഞ്ചത്തിന്‍റെ എല്ലാ മൂര്‍ത്ത ഭാവങ്ങളിലും ഞാന്‍ നിന്നെ പ്രണയിക്കുന്നു. ശരീരത്തില്‍ നിന്നും ചേതനയറ്റുന്ന നേരത്തും ,  പ്രാണന്‍ ത്രികാലങ്ങളില്‍ അമൂര്‍ത്തമായതിനെ പ്രണയിക്കുമ്പോഴും , എനിക്ക് പ്രണയം നീയാണ്. കാലം തന്‍റെ ഗര്‍ഭത്തില്‍ മറക്കുന്നതും , ബുദ്ധിക്കു അപ്രാപ്യമായ പ്രപഞ്ചത്തിന്‍റെ നിഗൂഡതകളില്‍ പ്രണവബീജം എന്‍റെ പ്രാണനെ ഗ്രസിക്കുമ്പോഴും , എനിക്ക് പ്രണയം നീയാണ്. കാലം മൂന്നിലും , പ്രാണന്‍റെ ഏതവസ്ഥയിലും , ഞാന്‍ നിന്നെ പ്രണയിക്കുന്നു.

At the hour of Last breath

(A poem by Rafeeque Ahammad. Translated by Anand ) Stay with me at the hour of my last breath, Amassing the burning veracities of life, My Fingers are dead, Let them get ease by caressing you. Last molecules of my breath may cart thy fragrance. My love, let thy face plunge In the eyes of mine, never to be opened. Ears, no longer be opened for sounds, Be sealed with thy mellifluousness. Mind, burning with thoughts and memoir, Be filled with thy evergreen memories. Kisses-made scars on my lips, Heal in the sweet chants of thy name. Reminiscences of journey,   Unto thee my love, my feet tranquil. That’s enough for me, Buried under the earth, I resurrect- Newborn leaves of grass.